Recipe from Rhode Island, United States! My Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe with Cherry Chocolate and Pistachio Mix is from my childhood living next to Steve's Ice Cream Shop in Providence, Rhode Island. The best part is that ice cream is gluten-free which makes it perfect for dessert without baking anything.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! When I was a teenager growing up in Rhode Island, my weekend started with Thayer Street. All the little shops and bookstores lined the street and I would go with my friends to shop and laugh. When you got to the corner, there it was Steve’s Ice Cream Shop where they would mix the ice cream together with all different toppings and the only flavor ice cream that I can remember was Vanilla Ice Cream.
The great thing about this ice cream shop was the toppings that they mix together and then you would customize your vanilla ice cream. I would watch them mix my chocolate chunks and then the chopped cherries and then chopped pistachio nuts that I have loved forever. How I loved my bowl of ice cream at the end!
Today we can buy mix ice cream and it is so expensive! So I decided what better way than to make my own and put my favorite flavors for half the cost. Now I could make my own vanilla ice cream but that would take too much time without an ice cream maker which is on my list for this summer.
So I decided to take a short cut and buy my favorite ice cream brand which is Publix Premium Classic Vanilla Ice Cream to start. Yes, it's my favorite and I have tried everyone of them, from expensive to cheap vanilla ice cream that is out there. For me, nothing else will do.
I like to cheat on Sunday’s and have a little ice cream in the summertime. Even with my degenerative spine disease flare ups, I know that if I eat well all the time and just have a treat 10% percent of the time, I do better. So now I would like to share with you a little part of my childhood ice cream treat that is still my favorite.
Step by Step - Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe with Cherry Chocolate and Pistachio Mix
- Jeff likes Oreos so I mix some for his ice cream.
- Soak raisins in rum and mix with walnuts.
- Chocolate chips mixed with sliced strawberries.
Ways to Serve
- Serve with a butter cookie
- Top with a little maple syrup
- Serve a biscotti cookie along with ice cream
The trick to putting this together is to have everything ready to go before you take out the ice cream. The ice cream is the last thing to come out of the freezer. I don't worry if it melts a little because it freezes quickly but you need to work fast! Just remember the better the ice cream, the better it will refreeze.
MORE RECIPES from United States
TRAVEL GUIDE to New England
★ Like this post? ★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below! ★ Let us know in the comments below or on social media using #LizzyLovesFoods and tag us @LizzyLovesFoods
Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe with Cherry Chocolate and Pistachio Mix
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup cherries frozen
- ½ cup pistachio chopped
- ½ cup dark chocolate bar chopped
- Chop the cherries, chocolate and pistachio,
- Line up the chopped items, to easily pick up.
- Get your pint of ice cream and peel the paper back.
- Get your container ready with a lid that closes tightly.
- Slice the ice cream so it will be able to lay down into the container.
- Sprinkle the mix on top of the ice cream layer.
- Repeat the process of laying and topping with mix until filled to the top.
- Press the ice cream down and close tightly with a lid.
- The trick to putting this together is have everything ready to go before you take out the ice cream.
- The ice cream is the last thing to come out of the freezer. I don't worry if it melts a little because it freezes quickly but you need to work fast!
- One thing I've learned is the better the ice cream, the better it will refreeze.