Portuguese Recipe! This vegan Cream of Wheat with Fried Bananas recipe is full of creamy flavor to start the day. Make it in the morning or the night before to have a filling breakfast that is quick and easy.
We are all in the pandemic of Covid 19 together right now and limiting our contact with everyone is the only way to stop the spread. Which has limited my grocery shopping at this time. I've been 4 times in a month which is pretty good for me.
I love going to the grocery store or better yet the farmers market. I feel so bad for people who don't take into account that it's a field trip with goodies from around the world! Which bring me to cream of wheat that is part of my childhood breakfast or night snack from my mom.
I loved cream of wheat as a child, my mom would put a little butter and sprinkle sugar on top. It was nice and warm and the perfect food during cold winters in New England. We never had cereal growing up, that was foreign to us. The United States is the land of cereal which most countries around the world do not have cereal. So my parents did not buy it but warm porridge is common in France and Portugal which is why cream of wheat was always in our home. In Portugal we call them mingau. Till this day I still have it in my home as staple item and for Jeff, it has become a breakfast favorite.
I've been buying things that last during this Covid 19 time, which I had Cream of Wheat. It's a simple breakfast that can be dressed up with full of flavor. It can store for a long time and is made by just adding a water and salt. The best part is you can add so many different things to make it flavorful.
I've also been buying bananas which is another popular food that last awhile. I can make smoothies or banana bread for breakfast but my favorite are fried bananas in a pan which make a perfect topping to dress up the cream of wheat.
Step by Step - Cream of Wheat with Fried Bananas
You don't need much to make this dish but a pot to cook and a wooden spoon. I prefer wooden spoon when cooking on a pan just because it doesn't scratch up pots
- Add milk or Almond milk instead of water to the Cream of Wheat, makes it creamy.
- Cook apples the same as the bananas for the topping,
- Add fresh strawberries and blueberries for the top.
- Add Almonds, cashews or any type of nut that you prefer.
Ways to Serve
- Cook your batch of cream of wheat and store in individual containers to have it ready to go to work or a quick breakfast in the morning.
- I always mix my cream of wheat with a little butter to make it creamy and have that silky taste.
When I cook my cream of wheat, I will mix it while it cooks so it doesn't get lumpy. It's cheaper to buy the box and cook a large batch to freeze verse the individual packets that Jeff says he needs 3 packs for one bowl. LOL! He loves to eat! Enjoy!
MORE RECIPES with Bananas
TRAVEL GUIDE to Portugal
★ Like this post? ★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below! ★ Let us know in the comments below or on social media using #LizzyLovesFoods and tag us @LizzyLovesFoods You can connect with us on Instagram and Facebook account or on Pinterest. Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter & stay up to date with our latest Recipes & Travel Adventures.
Cream of Wheat Fried Bananas - Vegan
- 2 Bananas sliced
- 1 tbsp butter, vegan
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 2 cups cream of wheat, cooked
Prepare Cream of Wheat
- Cook the Cream of Wheat to package directions.
- Peel the banana and slice into ½ inch thick.
- Add butter to the pan on medium heat and place bananas on one side.
- Add the maple syrup and let the bananas brown on each side, about 2 minutes.
- Add some chopped walnuts and let them cook in the pan with the bananas for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Place cream of wheat in a bowl, place bananas of top and sprinkle the walnuts. Enjoy.