Vegetable Soup with Israeli Couscous makes me so happy during this cold winter week. I need something warm and comforting after running around in DC.
Vegetable Soup with Israeli Couscous makes me so happy during these cold winter months. I need something warm and comforting after running around in DC when it’s 7º degrees outside. BRRrrrr!
As most of you are experiencing on the east coast this cold winter. The best part of this weather has been movie marathon with a bowl of Vegetable Soup with Israeli Couscous.
The trick to a good soup is aways the broth and I have to say my favorite helper with this is Better Than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken Base. It’s the closest to homemade to me. It’s hard to make a good broth and keep it around longer then a day so I always turn to Better Than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken Base.
After the base comes the vegetables to fill me up with goodness. I love the Israeli Couscous for a little twist in my soup. It gives it texture and fullness in every bite.
WHAT’S IN THE FOOD!
- spinach – excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium and vitamin C.
- carrots – source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.
- sweet potatoes – source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene). They are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6.
- celery – a good source of dietary fiber.
- onion – soluble fiber and flavonoids assist in thinning your blood, decreasing inflammation.
Stay warm and enjoy a bowl of soup on for todays snowy days. I’m going out side to take pictures now!
Like this post? ★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below! ★ Let us know in the comments below or on social media using #LizzyLovesFoods and tag us @LizzyLovesFoods
Vegetable Soup with Israeli Couscous
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 organic Italian sausage - gives it a great taste but you can leave it out.
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of sweet potatoes diced
- 1 cup of couscous - cook to package instruction and set aside
At the End
- 2 cup of spinach - the last 5 minutes
Peel the casing on the sausage and break it up into the soup pot
Crush the garlic in place into the soup pot along with the sausage.
Once the sausage has brown, drain some of the fat.
Leave a little of the fat so you can sauté the chopped onion.
Dice sweet potatoes, place into the soup pot.
Dice carrots, place into the soup pot.
Add the bay leave and let everything simmer for about 4 minutes.
Add water and 2 tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken Base.
Let it boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes until carrots and sweet potatoes are cooked.
Cook the couscous to package directions.
When couscous is cooked pour into the soup.
Put spinach into the soup pot and cook for about 4 minutes until the spinach is cooked.
I did not add salt or pepper to my soup but do so for your taste buds.
Serves about 8 bowls.