As the holiday approach us, let's not forget to make Matzo Ball Soup for Hanukkah. I got this simple recipe from a friends of mine many, many years ago when I went to there home to celebrate a night of Hanukkah.
There was so much food to pick from but the Matzo Ball Soup was my favorite that evening and the pot was full of Matzo Balls. Traditionally Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar.
I remember that evening very well because of all the story telling everyone in the room was doing. Not to mention guest had flown in from Israel to celebrate with the family so the childhood stories came out.
I think I have had this recipe for over 15 years and would like to share it with you. I make this when I have a cold or just to enjoy on a cold winter night.
★ Like this post? ★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below! ★ Let us know in the comments below or on social media using #LizzyLovesFoods and tag us @LizzyLovesFoods
Matzo Ball Soup for Hanukkah
- 1 package of MANISCHEWITZ Matzo Ball & Soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 celery chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- ½ an onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- 10 cups of water
- 1 roasted chicken I buy mine at the grocery store
- Take the Matzo out and mix it with eggs and oil.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 mins
- Take a small spoon to grab the mix and make small balls.
- They expand ones they are in the soup cooking.
- Take the olive oil and drip in the pot to saute, onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Put your carrots, celery and frozen peas and saute along with the bay leaf for about 7 minutes.
- Add the water and half the pack of the seasoning from the Matzo Ball package.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until boiling.
- Add the matzo balls and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes
- Cut up half the chicken breast into small bite size along with the dill and shallots then cook for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!