Nothing beats sourdough discard blueberry muffins with a cup of tea in the afternoon. A true English delight that we experience in Bermuda. With tea sandwiches and the best blueberry muffins at 4:00 pm, I could understand why this tradition has lasted.
Crispy crumb topping moist muffins topped with soft butter to spread in the middle of these delicious muffins are close to heaven on earth. One can not deny that this treat at tea time will put a smile on your face to savor every bite praying it will not end! Do I have your attention now?
With all the Royals of England, one thing is for sure tea time was no joke, and scones and muffins were on the menu. Originating from the United Kingdom, which became popular in the 18th century, it is now an American staple for a morning treat or afternoon snack. I like my sourdough discard blueberry muffins any time of day will do with a cup of coffee.
Before we dive into the mouthwatering solution of turning your leftover sourdough discard into blueberry muffins, it's important to understand the problem at hand. Many sourdough enthusiasts find themselves faced with a common predicament: what to do with the excess starter that gets discarded during the feeding process.
Using sourdough discard is a delicious way to add flavor to blueberry muffins, you not only minimize waste but also create a delightful treat that combines the best of both worlds. The tanginess of sourdough enhances the sweetness of the blueberries, creating a harmonious blend of flavors.
With just a few simple ingredients and a dash of creativity, you can transform your sourdough discard into mouthwatering blueberry muffins that will make your mornings a little sweeter. The combination of tangy sourdough and plump, juicy blueberries creates a muffin that is moist, flavorful, and utterly irresistible.
- sourdough discard
- unsalted butter, melted
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- blueberries, fresh or frozen blueberries
TIP: I will buy extra when blueberry season is upon us because they are so much cheaper and freeze during this time. I will have plenty for shakes and muffins before the next season.
To begin, gather your discarded sourdough starter, fresh blueberries, and a few pantry staples like flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. In a mixing bowl, combine the sourdough discard with the dry ingredients, gently folding in the blueberries to ensure an even distribution. Then, add in the wet ingredients, stirring until everything is well incorporated.
Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling it about two-thirds full to allow for rising. As the muffins bake, your kitchen will fill with the irresistible aroma of blueberries and sourdough, signaling that something truly delicious is being created.
Once golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before indulging in their warm, tender goodness. Whether enjoyed with a cup of coffee in the morning or as an afternoon treat, these blueberry sourdough muffins are so yummy.
So, don't let your sourdough discard go to waste any longer. With a little creativity and the right recipe, you can transform it into something truly magical.
Get ready to indulge in the delightful combination of tangy sourdough and sweet blueberries, as we dive into the mouthwatering recipe for blueberry sourdough muffins.
Tips and Variations
Let's explore some tips and variations that will elevate your blueberry sourdough muffins to new heights of deliciousness. These ideas will help you add your own personal touch and experiment with different flavors and textures. So, get ready to embark on a culinary adventure and take your muffins to the next level!
Experiment with Different Fruit Combinations: While blueberries are a classic choice for these muffins, don't be afraid to mix it up and try other fruit combinations. Raspberries, blackberries, or even diced peaches can all bring their own unique sweetness and tartness to the equation. You can even combine multiple fruits for a medley of flavors that will surprise and delight your taste buds.
Infuse with a Zesty Citrus Twist: For a burst of bright and tangy flavor, consider adding a touch of citrus to your muffin batter. Grate some lemon zest or orange zest into the mixture before folding in the blueberries. The citrusy aroma will fill your kitchen as the muffins bake, and the added zest will infuse each bite with a refreshing twist.
Get Creative with Mix-ins: If you're feeling adventurous, why not experiment with different mix-ins to add extra texture and complexity to your muffins? Chopped nuts like almonds or pecans can provide a satisfying crunch, while a handful of shredded coconut or chocolate chips can bring a delightful surprise with every bite. Don't be afraid to let your imagination run wild and create your own unique flavor combinations.
Whip Up a Creamy Glaze: Take your muffins from ordinary to extraordinary by drizzling them with a luscious glaze. A simple glaze made from powdered sugar and a splash of milk or citrus juice can bring an extra touch of sweetness and visual appeal. Feel free to play around with the consistency and flavor of the glaze, adding a bit of vanilla extract or even a hint of cinnamon to suit your taste.
With these tips and variations in your baking repertoire, let creativity soar and experiment with different combinations that will make your taste buds sing. Get ready to savor each delectable bite as you take your muffins to the next level of scrumptiousness.
More English Food Recipes
A family favorite and so easy to make and a great way to use leftover sourdough starter. Don't let your sourdough discard go to waste any longer. By transforming it into these mouthwatering fluffy sourdough blueberry muffins, you not only satisfy your taste buds but also contribute to the movement to reduce food waste. I hope you will give this easy recipe a try to enjoy with your whole family for a little Sunday tea time. That concludes our journey today with an English favorite. Till next time my beautiful friends as my quest for the perfect bite continues, As the Brits would say, ACE!
Sourdough Discard Blueberry Muffins
- 1 muffin tin for 6
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of blueberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease it lightly with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside for now.
- With a stand mixer, combine the sourdough discard, melted butter, sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix, as this can lead to tough muffins.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, add about a tablespoon of flour and let it coat the blueberries so they don't sink to the bottom of the tin.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter. The burst of sweetness from the blueberries will complement the tangy flavor of the sourdough.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters full. This will allow the muffins to rise and form a beautiful domed top.
- In a small bowl mix ¼ cup of flour and ¼ cup of brown sugar with 3 tablespoons of cold butter and mix with your hands until it is lumpy and crumbles up. SEE NOTES
- Place the muffin tin or muffin cups in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and for best results, insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it come out clean. The heavenly aroma will fill your kitchen, tempting you to indulge in their warm, tender goodness.
- Once golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes on a wire rack to prevent moisture at the bottom.
- Enjoyed with a cup of coffee or with tea!