As the holiday approach us, lets not forget to make Matzo Ball Soup for Hanukkah. I got this simple recipe from a friends of mine many, many years ago when I went to there home to celebrate a night of Hanukkah. There was so much food to pick from but the Matzo Ball Soup was my favorite that evening and the pot was full of Matzo Balls.
Traditionally Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, Which can be in late November to late December. This holiday is decorated in blue and silver and a menorah is present to light each day of celebration.
I remember that evening very well because of all the story telling everyone in the room was doing. Not to mention guest had flown in from Israel to celebrate with the family so the childhood stories came out. So I of course had to ask, “Who made the Matzo Ball Soup ?” Sure enough my friend said it was his sister and they had a short cut that it would be easy to make Matzo Ball Soup.
I think I have had this recipe for over 15 years and would like to share it with you. I make this when I have a cold or just to enjoy on a cold winter night.
- 1 package of MANISCHEWITZ Matzo Ball & Soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- 10 cups of water
- 1 roasted chicken (I buy mine at the grocery store)
- Matzo Balls
- Take the Matzo out and mix it with eggs and oil.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 mins
- Take a small spoon to grab the mix and make small balls.
- They expand ones they are in the soup cooking.
- Take the olive oil and drip in the pot to saute, onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Put your carrots, celery and frozen peas and saute along with the bay leaf for about 7 minutes.
- Add the water and half the pack of the seasoning from the Matzo Ball package.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until boiling.
- Add the matzo balls and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes
- Cut up half the chicken breast into small bite size along with the dill and shallots then cook for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!